Volunteer as a Program Reviewer for ILA/CAEP
Thank you for your interest in becoming an ILA/CAEP Program Reviewer. Applications are reviewed by ILA's SPA Coordinator and the Professional Standards and Ethics Project.
The following is a list of qualifications and performance expectations for program review:
- Current membership in ILA
- Expertise in the field of teaching literacy, administration, teacher education, research, and/or program evaluation
- Three or more years of teaching or other experience related to PreK–12 reading or literacy education
- Basic knowledge about interpretation of data, performance-based assessment, use of rating scales and rubrics, and analysis of written information
- Familiarity with current and former editions of Standards for Reading Professionals
- Ability to make reasoned, unbiased professional judgments about education programs based on their alignment with Standards 2010
- Commitment to meet deadlines
- Excellent writing skills that convey clear, substantive judgments about the program that support the review decision and that offer focused comments to provide institutions the information needed to bring their program into alignment with Standards 2010
- Good interpersonal skills, the ability to interact with team members in a courteous and collegial manner, and the ability to work toward consensus in team deliberations
- Computer literacy and access to the Internet and e-mail and familiarity with submission and review databases (the CAEP review is conducted online)
- Commitment and availability to perform duties for a 3-year term
- Ability to attend annual training sessions at either the ILA Annual Conference or the Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers annual conference at least every 18 months
- Commitment to follow ILA's Code of Conduct
Because professional development workshops are held only two times a year, you may attend the training even if you have not yet submitted your professional references. However, approval of your application will be contingent on receipt of your references and other conditions outlined above.
Complete an online application form and include your vita and two letters of reference. If you are selected as a Program Reviewer, you must agree to review program documents at least once per year (either fall or spring semester) for a period of 3 years. Reviewers in excellent standing may continue to review beyond the 3-year period.